Senior Software Engineer
The mission of the Processing Team at Hawkeye 360 (HE360) is to build cross-domain systems to perform RF-based data collection and geolocation. The Processing team includes experts across FPGA development, embedded software, software defined radio, and cloud development; plus deep knowledge of signal-of-interest (SOI) digital signal processing, RF communications systems, RF measurement systems, and geolocation. HE360 is currently seeking a Senior Software Engineer who can help the Processing team optimize and deploy their world-class algorithms for scalable cloud processing.
A great Software Engineer does not need to be an expert in signal processing or geolocation – you just cannot be afraid of the topic! We work in small teams to rapidly prototype and productize new ideas based on hands-on, in-the-weeds engineering. You'll be responsible for designing and implementing distributed backend software systems required for the Processing team to consume RF data at scale, and will need to be comfortable working intimately with RF & geolocation algorithm details in order to deliver data with the best performance possible. We support a broad range of software applications to accomplish our mission, especially favoring python and C++ languages for batch processing within cloud deployments (Kubernetes + Docker).As the Senior Software Engineer, your main responsibilities will be:
- Design, build and maintain efficient and reusable C++ and Python code
- Document and maintain software functionality; Write well-designed testable code; Help maintain code quality and standards
- Work closely with RF Algorithm & Data Science teams to integrate, optimize, and deploy state-of-the-art algorithms to production-ready applications
- Contribute to the design and implementation of processing and geolocation algorithms, optimizing for scalable, low-latency deployment to a batch-processing cloud environment
- Apply analytical, debugging, problem solving skills to support and debug data-heavy applications in production to achieve long term product goals in terms of performance and reliability
- Participate in collaborative software development practices, particularly performing merge request reviews, providing design feedback, etc.
- Work in a fast-paced agile environment, effectively communicate and track development activities using agile tools like JIRA/Confluence.
Essential education and experience:
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Electrical/Computer Engineering, or related field or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of professional software development experience using C++ and Python
- Hands-on experience using Boost, STL and Modern C++ (C++11 and newer) libraries, C++ unit test libraries (Catch2, googletest, etc)
- Experience with standard Python tools & framework (e.g. NumPy, pandas, SciPy, scikit)
- Strong understanding of memory management, multithreading and synchronization and object-oriented design principles
- Experience developing and supporting DevOps best-practices: GitLab-based CI/CD (or equivalent) for C++ & Python projects; deploying containerized software; etc.
- Hands-on experience implementing and optimizing data structures and software algorithms for data pipelines in a production environment
- Demonstrated experience developing software in a Linux environment
- Experience deploying software and infrastructure into a Docker and/or Kubernetes environment using an industry-standard cloud provider (AWS, etc.)
- Experience in embedded, real-time software development
HawkEye 360 offers a compensation package that includes a competitive base salary plus annual performance bonus, benefits, and stock options. We consider many factors when determining salary offers, such as candidate's work experience, education, training & skills, as well as market and business considerations. We are also open to considering candidates with experience and qualifications at a different level than required in a job posting, which may affect the compensation package offered.
HawkEye 360 is delivering a revolutionary source of global knowledge based on radio frequency (RF) geospatial analytics to those working to make the world a safer place. The company operates a commercial satellite constellation that detects, geolocates, and identifies a broad range of signals & behaviors. We employ cutting edge AI techniques to equip our global customers with high-impact insights needed to make decisions with confidence. HawkEye 360 is headquartered in Herndon, Virginia.
HawkEye 360 is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
To all recruitment agencies: HawkEye 360 does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, HawkEye 360 employees or any other organization location. HawkEye 360 is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Something looks off?