Capella Space Corp. (Company) is at the forefront of making vital information about our world accessible in a timely manner. We’re leveraging proven technologies and building new capabilities to create a constellation of earth observation radar satellites that can collect information about any spot on the planet within an hour.
At Capella Space you’ll work in a collaborative team environment, alongside smart people with a history of space mission success. We’re looking for people excited about tackling seemingly impossible challenges, learning new skills and concepts, and helping each other achieve success.
Our mission and our products are meant to understand the whole world and help everyone in it, regardless of race, creed, or any other distinction. We believe in a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we encourage all people to join our team and bring their unique perspective to help make us stronger. We value diversity at Capella and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Responsibilities and Duties
Capella Space is building an industry transforming SAR data platform with the ability to request and receive high quality SAR imagery in a matter of minutes instead of weeks. As the Legal Counsel, you will be an at-will employee of the Company working under the supervision of the General Counsel & Secretary and in close collaboration with a Regulatory Engineer who assists with regulatory matters in the Legal and Regulatory Compliance Department (LRC Department). Your primary focus will be drafting, reviewing and advising on day to day commercial and government transactions with customers and vendors. You will also assist with corporate transactions and the Company’s regulatory compliance, employee and other in-house legal matters, always striving to mitigate Company risk. This role combines both strategic input to the General Counsel and the ability to work independently providing responsive, operational, day to day, attention to the Company’s legal and regulatory matters as they arise, providing legal advice to the company’s senior management team, business units and other stakeholders and negotiating transactions with prospective customers and vendors.
The Legal Counsel’s primary responsibilities will include, among other responsibilities assigned from time to time, the following:
- Report to the General Counsel
- Carry out the duties assigned to you by the General Counsel and assist the General
- Counsel in managing the LRC Department and providing responsive advice to the Company regarding all legal and regulatory compliance matters
- Serving as the primary point of contact for drafting, negotiating, reviewing and closing all Company commercial and government contracts
- Drafting, negotiating and closing commercial reseller agreements and foreign allied defense and intelligence customer contracts, including SAR imagery data sales, analytics services, satellite/ground station/imagery processing sales proposals and contracts, and related regulatory matters
- Supporting, negotiating and closing contracts with US Government customers, teaming relationships with prime and subcontractors and related documentation
- Assisting the General Counsel in negotiating and closing corporate transactions as they arise (equity and debt financings, mergers and acquisitions, forming new subsidiaries, etc.)
- Assisting the General Counsel with other in-house legal matters, including, but not limited to, compliance with U.S. and foreign regulatory requirements, technology licensing transactions, new product development, employment issues, and developing and implementing regulatory compliance policies and procedures
- Participating on the Company’s Disclosure Committee and Security and Regulatory Compliance Committee
- Assisting the General Counsel in selecting and implementing scalable legal tools and infrastructure for managing and reporting on legal matter inflow and workflow, contract management and regulatory compliance
- Communicating results and ideas to key decision makers within the Company and external stakeholders (investors, regulators, customers, vendors, etc.)
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- 8-10 years of commercial and corporate experience both in a law firm and/or in-
- house with a company, preferably in the aerospace or satellite sector or another
- technology sector.
- Regulatory experience involving ITAR and EAR export controls, FCC licensing, NOAA
- or other technology sector is a plus.
- Periodic travel to the Company’s San Francisco, CA, and other offices established
- from time to time, as well as Company customer and vendor offices or meetings as
- required in the U.S. and abroad.
- Bar admission in good standing in Colorado
Hybrid work approach based out of the Company’s Louisville, Colorado office.
Compensation Range: $163,200 - $244,800
Salaries will be based on the applicant’s level of experience, education, and specialized knowledge and skills.
In addition to an opportunity to take part in an innovative and fast-growing business with a highly motivated and skilled team, we also take pride in taking care of our employees. Here are just a few ways that we show our appreciation:
- Disability and Life Insurance
- 401k plan
- Health Care, Dependent Care FSAs
- Commuter/Parking Flex Spending
- Flexible vacation policy
- In-office lunch program
- Dog friendly offices