Satellite Payload Engineer
HawkEye 360 (HE360) is seeking a versatile, detail-oriented Satellite Payload Engineer to join the Space Coordination team in Herndon, Virginia. As a member of the Space Coordination team, you will be expected to bring a strong technical skill set to troubleshoot issues with spacecraft hardware and software. Working in a dynamic, fast-paced, development environment, you will help design our remotely controllable test infrastructure located at HE360’s Virginia-based laboratory, along with associated scripts and analysis tools. You will also work with payload engineers, system operators, and product managers to ensure that new hardware, or software upgrades, to HE360’s satellite constellation work the first time, every time.As the Satellite Payload Engineer, your main responsibilities will be:
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams in engineering, system operations, and product.
- Take initiative to quickly learn and understand the HE360 spacecraft system applications and hardware.
- Design long-term hardware-in-the-loop test infrastructure for HE360’s “flatsats” (test systems which include software-defined radios, GPS receivers, communications hardware, and onboard atomic clocks).
- Design the scripts and analysis tools to run tests that verify hardware and embedded software integration in the lab and on-orbit.
- Use engineering analysis techniques to troubleshoot anomalies and provide solutions.
- Work with Space Coordination and Product teams to define requirements for testing new embedded applications and hardware features.
- Provide surge support for embedded software development and space operations.
Essential education and experience:
- A passion for problem-solving, relentless attention to detail, and the ability to learn quickly on the job and operate effectively in ambiguous situations with minimal oversight.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- B.S. degree or equivalent in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, or a related field; or equivalent experience.
- Experience with Python, C++, Bash, and Git.
- Experience with Linux-based embedded systems and user-space applications design.
- Experience with Continuous Integration services such as GitLab CI, Jenkins, or Concourse.
- 3+ years of experience in embedded software development or assembly, integration, and testing design.
- Familiarity with System-on-Chip architectures such as the Xilinx Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC.
- Familiarity with spacecraft operations, satellite command, and telemetry.
- Experience with RF systems such as antennas and software-defined radios.
- Experience with basic digital signal processing concepts and techniques such as FFTs and cross-correlation, digital modulation, and sampling theory.
- Strong scripting and requirements definition experience.
HawkEye 360 offers a compensation package that includes a competitive base salary plus annual performance bonus and benefits. We consider many factors when determining salary offers, such as candidate's work experience, education, training & skills, as well as market and business considerations. We are also open to considering candidates with experience and qualifications at a different level than required in a job posting, which may affect the compensation package offered.
HawkEye 360 is delivering a revolutionary source of global knowledge based on radio frequency (RF) geospatial analytics to those working to make the world a safer place. The company operates a commercial satellite constellation that detects, geolocates, and identifies a broad range of signals & behaviors. We employ cutting edge AI techniques to equip our global customers with high-impact insights needed to make decisions with confidence. HawkEye 360 is headquartered in Herndon, Virginia.
HawkEye 360 is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
To all recruitment agencies: HawkEye 360 does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, HawkEye 360 employees or any other organization location. HawkEye 360 is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.