Flight Dynamics Engineer
HawkEye 360 (HE360) is seeking a versatile, detail-oriented Flight Dynamics Engineer to join the System Operations team in Herndon, Virginia. As a Flight Dynamics engineer, you will be responsible for the development and maintenance of flight dynamics software used for tasks such as satellite formation flying, orbit determination, maneuver planning, and collision avoidance. A successful Flight Dynamics engineer will also aid in development of ground system software and assist with mission operations as needed.
Location: On-site in our Herndon, VA office preferred, open to fully remote candidates within the U.S.
- Perform full mission lifetime Flight Dynamics analyses from mission planning to launch to mission to deorbit, including:
- Orbit Determination
- Formation flying and maneuver planning
- Constellation and launch planning
- Collision Avoidance
- Thruster calibration and propellant bookkeeping
- Develop and maintain Flight Dynamics software to support analyses and mission operations, with a focus on scalability and automation
- Create test plans and perform functional software testing and integration
- Work directly with multiple stakeholders to develop mission software requirements
- Support on-console satellite operations as necessary, especially during launch operations
Essential education and experience:
- 3+ years of professional experience with flight dynamics and programming experience
- Experience with at least one orbit simulation tool, such as STK, GMAT, or Freeflyer
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to identify and solve problems independently with minimal oversight
- Fluency with Python and familiarity with version control, preferably Git
- MS in Aerospace Engineering, physics, or a related discipline
- 5+ years of professional experience with flight dynamics and/or satellite operations
- Experience with supporting 24/7 satellite operations in LEO
- Experience operating satellite constellations
- Experience with, or coursework in, orbit determination and formation flying
- Experience with STK and ODTK
HawkEye 360 offers a compensation package that includes a competitive base salary plus annual performance bonus and benefits. We consider many factors when determining salary offers, such as candidate's work experience, education, training & skills, as well as market and business considerations. We are also open to considering candidates with experience and qualifications at a different level than required in a job posting, which may affect the compensation package offered.
HawkEye 360 is delivering a revolutionary source of global knowledge based on radio frequency (RF) geospatial analytics to those working to make the world a safer place. The company operates a commercial satellite constellation that detects, geolocates, and identifies a broad range of signals & behaviors. We employ cutting edge AI techniques to equip our global customers with high-impact insights needed to make decisions with confidence. HawkEye 360 is headquartered in Herndon, Virginia.
HawkEye 360 is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
To all recruitment agencies: HawkEye 360 does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, HawkEye 360 employees or any other organization location. HawkEye 360 is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.