Manager of Threat Research
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2023
HUMAN was founded in 2012 in a Brooklyn sci-fi bookstore by Tamer Hassan, Michael Tiffany, Dan Kaminsky, and Ash Kalb. Our humble beginnings led to the creation of the Human Defense Platform, the backbone of all our products that safeguards enterprises from sophisticated bot attacks, fraud, and account abuse. Today we verify the humanity of more than 20 trillion interactions per week for some of the largest companies and internet platforms.
Our hacker roots still permeate everything we do. You will be a part of the HUMAN front line in our commitment to helping protect companies (and in turn, their customers) from both revenue and reputation risk caused by malicious bots. However, HUMAN is not the center of this story. Humans like yourself are. We firmly believe in putting people first. This approach spans our extensive total rewards package, inclusive of competitive compensation, benefits, stipends - as well as our day-to-day culture - to ensure every human is empowered to do the best work of their life. We want to hear about the marathon you’re training for. We want to see pictures of your pets. We want to know your favorite robot (we have many).
The HUMAN R&D team is pivotal to our mission. They are the ones uncovering and fighting bot operations like PARETO, ICEBUCKET, 3ve, and Methbot. HUMAN supports our R&D humans by strongly valuing deep work and flexibility. Additionally, this team is encouraged to participate in R&D Research Friday - a designated half day each week dedicated to trying new ideas and personal career development. HUMAN is fully committed to flexible working arrangements to ensure our humans are able to do the best work of their lives.
We want to work with people like you who break down problems to build up better solutions. That’s what makes us HUMAN.
You’ll be joining us at an exciting moment in the HUMAN story: we joined forces with PerimeterX in a market-changing merger, as well as recently acquired clean.io to enhance the Human Defense Platform. Together under the HUMAN brand, we will disrupt the economics of cybercrime. We hope you can join us in that mission.
Who you are:
- You are a curious, adaptable person who is always thinking out of the box that wants to apply your knowledge to always do the right thing.
- You have experience leading a team, mentoring junior staff, coaching through problems, and going out of your way to support your team
- You have a strong sense of ownership which drives you to find ways to do things better, faster, and leaner; you hold yourself accountable for the quality and accuracy of your work
- You are knowledgeable on the mechanics of fraud and abuse within the Ad Tech ecosystem and stay up to date on changes in the industry
- You look to find new and innovative ways to tackle complex problems through meticulous experimentation and application of emerging technologies
- You are passionate about learning and growing your skillset and the skillset of those around you.
What you'll do:
- Manage a cross-functional team of data analysts, scientists, and security researchers
- Aligning projects with people’s skills and growth areas, regularly providing feedback, and evaluate individuals’ projects with a keen eye for details
- Lead our threat models team from strategic planning through day-to-day project execution, such as defining weekly goals, clarifying scope/requirements/dependencies, and updating leadership on status or blockers
- Oversee the development of product features and detection capabilities, such as payload signal collection and ad fraud detection techniques utilizing those signals in order to identify different forms of Invalid Traffic (IVT).
- Facilitate research into new and emerging threat models within the Ad Tech Ecosystem, as well as new environments and types of advertising that are potential vectors of abuse.
- Create or identify new sources of signal across many different environments, as well as evangelizing new industry standards that could be additional sources of signal
- Partner with product, engineering, and customer teams to evaluate the relative priority of the team’s project and better inform the team’s roadmap
- Keep up on industry standards, techniques, cybersecurity trends, and tools adversaries might use to circumvent detection or mitigation.
Life at HUMAN:
HUMAN prides itself on being an equal opportunity workplace. We firmly believe in putting people first regardless of who you are, where you come from, how you identify, or who your favorite robot is (we have many). We are on a mission to protect the integrity of the internet for everyone, so we welcome all individuals to come to share their unique experiences and perspectives as we fight against cybercrime together!
With Humans located in all parts of the world, we’ve fully embraced our diversity of thought and are always looking for innovative ways to connect with one another - even in virtual reality! Although New York City is our HQ, with teams in London, Virginia, and Victoria, we trust our Humans in choosing where they work and how they work. The benefits package we provide reflects our remote-first culture and our commitment to our Humans’ personal career development, which includes annual stipends for home office setup, well-being, and growth & development. We also offer weekly lunches, flexible time off, no-meeting Fridays, HUMAN days, sabbatical programs, and so much more.
We’re constantly trying to anticipate the needs of our Humans to ensure each one of us is equally prepared to do some of the best work of our life. Taking care of one another is part of the HUMAN experience and how we build true HUMAN connections.
If you are an individual with a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us directly.
The base pay range for this position is $150,000- $200,000 which can include additional on-target commission pay/bonus. The base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Stock options and other incentive pay may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, depending on the position ultimately offered.
See more open positions at HUMAN
Something looks off?